Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35 ~ Dee's Thursday Tips

Today I'm going to talk about making a card from a 8.5" x 11" piece of cardstock and getting 2 cards out of each paper. If you cut them different ways, you can get 2 kinds of cards, both measuring 5 1/2" x 4 1/4". =)

First, here are my 2 pieces of cardstock that I will be cutting today. I'm wanting to make some masculine cards over the next few days so when I am done with this tip, I'll have 4 card bases ready to go and don't have to cut them.



I'm going to start with the brown cardstock. It measures 8 1/2 inches from side to side. You divide the 8 1/2 inches by 2 and it's 4 1/4 inches. So, I lined the left side of the card up to the 4 1/4 inch mark.


Here is a close up of where it is at the 4 1/4 inch mark.


Now cut your paper and you have two pieces. I'll show you how this way folds up in a little bit.



Here is the next piece of cardstock. It measure 11 inches going from top to bottom. Turn your paper so that the 11 inches now goes from left to right on the cutter. Divide the 11 inches by 2 and it's 5 1/2 inches. Line the left side of your paper at the 5 1/2 inch mark.


Here is a closeup to show you the 5 1/2 mark.


Cut your paper and as before you have 2 pieces.



I've folded the cards up and you can see that they are both the same size. They are both 5 1/2 inches x 4 1/4 inches.



Here they are when unfolded. As you can see the blue cardstock looks different. This is how your traditional card looks. The brown card is longer on the sides and will give a different effect. I can't wait to get started on these cards and show you how you can do something similar with a card but how it looks different depending on how you cut and fold your card.


The thing I really like about using this method of cutting is that you don't waste any paper. I tend to buy my paper in the 8.5" x 11" paper packs because it works better with my storage system. I use plastic magazine holders that I bought at the dollar store and they are perfect for holding my papers. It's open and I can just leaf through my papers and get the piece I want. I don't have to spend extra time cutting a 12" x 12" paper to make my card base.

Happy crafting and check back later for the cards I make with this cardstock base. Blessings. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment